As an online transcriptionist, one of the most important things you can do is accurately estimate how long it will take you to transcribe a given audio or video file. This not only allows you to set a fair price for your services but also ensures that you don’t overcommit to a project and then find yourself struggling to meet the deadline. This article will show you how to quickly and easily calculate word counts for online transcription.
Online Transcription in a Nutshell
Online transcription is the process of converting audio or video files into written form. This can be anything from transcribing a recording of a meeting or interview to transcribing a video of a lecture or speech. Many users are now embracing AI transcription as the solution. It can be more accurate and much faster, and cheaper than manual transcription. Moreover, these AI-based softwares can also automatically count the words of your transcribed text.
Why Should You Calculate Online Transcription Words?
There are a few key reasons why it’s important to calculate the number of words in your online transcription:
- Allows you to set a fair price for your services.
- Helps you to accurately estimate how long a transcription will take you to complete.
- Ensures that you don’t overcommit to a project and then find yourself struggling to meet the deadline.
- Allows you to track your progress and see how much transcription you’ve completed over time.
- Helps identify patterns in your transcription work, such as which files are particularly challenging to transcribe or which topics you tend to transcribe more quickly.
Transcribing Audio to Text for Web Accessibility
One of the benefits of transcribing audio to text is making your content more digitally accessible to a wider audience. If you have a podcast, for example, transcribing the audio into text means that people who are deaf or hard of hearing can still access your content.
It also makes your content more searchable online. This makes it possible to reach a wider audience. When you count words for each transcribed text, you can make an initial assessment and understand if the content is too long or too short and if it could be relevant as a blog post, or even an article.
How to Calculate Word Counts for Online Transcription?
There are a few different ways to calculate word counts for online transcription. The method you use will depend on the type of transcription you’re doing and the tools you have available.
Here’s a quick guide on how to do it:
- Start by transcribing a small section of the audio or video file. This could be 1-2 minutes long.
- Once you have transcribed this section, count the number of words that you have written down.
- Now, estimate the total length of the audio or video file and multiply this by the number of words that you have just counted. This will give you an approximate word count for the entire file.
- Then, divide this number by the average number of words that you can transcribe in a minute. This will give you an estimate of how long it will take you to transcribe the entire file.
- To get a more accurate word count, you can transcribe another small section of the audio or video file. Then, repeat steps 2–4.
- You can also use an automated tool to automatically transcribe your audio or video files. Then, calculate the word count using online tools. This is a great option if you don’t want to spend time doing it manually.
- Finally, you can copy the whole transcribed text to a word counter tool and it will give you an accurate word count.
Once you have a good understanding of how to calculate word counts for online transcription, you can then use this information to price your services accurately.
Keep in mind that this is only a rough guide. Your actual transcription time may vary depending on the difficulty of the audio or video file, your typing speed, and other factors. However, calculating the word count is a great way to get a ballpark estimate of how long it will take you to transcribe a given file.
Calculating word counts for online transcription is essential. This is a quick and easy way to price your services accurately, estimate how long a project will take, and track your progress over time. Using any of the methods above, you can get a good estimate of the number of words in your transcribed text. This helps provide better quotes to clients, manage your time more effectively, and ensure that you always deliver high-quality transcription services.